Match Report – Ebbw Vale RFC 16 Pontypool RFC 10

HOME > Match Report – Ebbw Vale RFC 16 Pontypool RFC 10

Match Report – Ebbw Vale RFC 16 Pontypool RFC 10

Ebbw take the spoils against Pontypool

The Steelmen gained revenge for defeat in the reverse fixture earlier in the season, in a game that was again played in front of the S4C Clic cameras on a Thursday evening.

With the hosts gaining the upper hand in the scrum, Ebbw Vale were quick to get the first points of the game, when full back Evan Lloyd kicked a penalty early on.

However, the leagues top point scorer was unable to double his sides advantage soon after, when the referee awarded another penalty to Ebbw.

After the visitors got into the game, a well struck penalty by Pooler outside half Matthew Jarvis brought the game level at three a piece. Jarvis was also off target with a penalty moments later to keep the score level.

A good passage of play by the Steelmen backs, saw centre Ethan Phillip pull of a trademark move by slicing through the away side’s defence. With what looked like just the full back to beat, an excellent ankle tap tackle saw Phillips go to ground and the play came to nothing.

With only minutes left of the first half, Ebbw Vale coach Jason Strange was forced into making his first substitution of the evening. Co-captain Rhys Francis was forced off with an injury, on what was likely to be his final home appearance before retiring. Fellow co-captain Joe Franchi replaced hooker Francis.

The first try of the evening came to the home side on the stroke of halftime. Fullback Evan Lloyd excellently caught a clearing kick from the away side around the halfway line. With flyhalf Kieran Meek inside him, Lloyd offloaded to the number ten. With plenty to do, the Ebbw flyhalf carved his wave through the visitor’s defence to pass to the supporting Ethan Phillips. With the centre about to be tackled, Phillips offloaded the ball to winger Harry Rees-Weldon, who showed his pace by beating a defender and going over in the corner. Fullback Lloyd was unable to add the extras.

Half Time: Ebbw Vale RFC 8 Pontypool RFC 3

Pontypool came out for the second half with a point to prove. From a lineout inside the Ebbw Vale twenty-two number eight Scott Matthews charged at the hosts defenders. Seeing a gap on the inside the number passed inside to the supporting Morgan Lloyd and the youngster raced over the line unopposed. Jarvis successfully added the conversion to put the away side in front for the time in the evening.

With the game swinging one way, then the other, Ebbw Vale full back Lloyd was successful with another penalty to put the Steelmen back in front by one point.

The away side were given another opportunity to regain the lead through a penalty. However, number ten Jarvis was off target with his effort.

The hosts coach Strange made a raft of changes. Props Morgan Davies, Owen Hatherill, flanker Lewis Young and number eight Owen Conquer replaced Luke Garrett, Adam Court, Ben Main and Ryan Jenkins.

Ebbw were offered a further opportunity to extend their lead further. However, Lloyd was unsuccessful with his attempt at goal.

A further change by Strange, saw the home side’s centre Dominic Franchi be replaced by Cameron Davies.

The decisive score of the game came in the sixty ninth minute. From a lineout just inside the Pontypool half, the ball made its way out to the Ebbw Vale midfield. With plenty of defenders in front of him, flanker Lewis Young charged his way through the defence to offload to the supporting Evan Lloyd. With the full back running into the away side’s twenty-two at pace, only a covering tackle denied Lloyd the try. Ebbw scrum half Jon Evan was quick to pick up the ball, run up the blindside and pass to the overlapping Ethan Phillips, for the centre to barge over the line out wide. Lloyd was unsuccessful with his attempt from the touchline.

The hosts final replacements of the evening saw scrum half Rory Harries and full back Morgan Richards replace Jon Evans and Evan Lloyd.

No further points were added to the scoreline in a game that was likely to be Ebbw Vale’s last home game of the season.

Full Time: Ebbw Vale RFC 16 Pontypool RFC 10


Tries: Harry Rees Weldon (1), Ethan Phillips (1)

Penalties: Evan Lloyd (2)


After the game we spoke with Ebbw Vale winger and try scorer Harry Rees Weldon. Harry thought it was a hard-fought game, which the squad made harder than it should have been. He added the team needed momentum during the game, which they were unable to find, especially in the middle third and believed Ebbw were lucky to come away with the win.

We also spoke with Pontypool and ex-Ebbw vale second row Ashley Sweet. Ashley said it was a very hard game, one which they knew it was going to be. He added Pontypool have had a cracking season. They pride themselves on being physical and staying in battles, which we did during the game. Ashley thought it was a good game.

Discussing his return to the ground, Ashley thought It is fantastic. He added having been at Ebbw Vale for so long, it holds a dear place in his heart. Ashley finished by stating coming back brought back some good memories.


Written by Alex Kinsella-Evans

Leave a Reply


Super Rygbi Cymru Officially Launched

Welsh rugby is about to undergo the biggest structural shake-up since the introduction of Regional rugby in 2003 with the creation of the 10-team Super Rygbi Cymru. Following 9 months of […]

Read More