Match Report – Carmarthen Quins 24 Ebbw Vale RFC 28

HOME > Match Report – Carmarthen Quins 24 Ebbw Vale RFC 28

Match Report – Carmarthen Quins 24 Ebbw Vale RFC 28

The Steelmen March On

Ebbw came away from Carmarthen with a win, after playing in front of the TV cameras in a game that was played in tough weather conditions.

Jason Strange made numerous changes to his side, which saw ten players under the age of twenty-one involved.

The visitors were quick out of the blocks. After being awarded a penalty in the Quins half inside the first minute, outside half Kieran Meek kicked to touch. After winning the lineout inside the hosts twenty-two the forwards set up a rolling maul. With the backs joining in, hooker Ieuan Morris was on hand to dive over the line to score the opening try. Fly half Meek was unsuccessful with the conversion.

Inside ten minutes the away side doubled their try tally. With the home side attempting to go through the phases just inside the Ebbw Vale half, winger Hamish Anderson intercepted a pass and ran half the length of the field unopposed to score for the Steelmen. Meek added the extras.

Within a few minutes, Carmarthen immediately hit back. From a lineout inside the Ebbw Vale twenty-two, sloppy play at the lineout saw the hosts centre Iestyn Gwilliam dive on the ball over the try line. Number ten Charlie Titcombe brought his team back to within five points.

The hosts reduced the deficit further from a successful penalty by outside half Titcombe just on the Ebbw Vale five metre line.

On around the thirty minute mark Ebbw fly-half Meek successfully kicked a penalty after good work by the forwards saw the Steelmen nearly score a third try, only for referee Ben Breakspear to penalise Carmarthen.

The Quins were to draw level shortly after. A good take and run from his own twenty-two by outside half Titcombe resulted in full back Rhodri Davies scoring an excellent team try. Titcombe again added the two points to put the home side in front for the first time in the game.

With the half drawing to a close, a lose kick by the visitors, saw a home side player chip the ball over the top of the Steelmen’s defence from the half way line. A handling error on the floor by the covering defence, saw the ball go free for the hosts full back Davies to score his second and Carmarthen’s third try of the game. Titcombe was successful with the conversion to extend the home sides lead to nine points going into the interval.

Half Time: Carmarthen Quins RFC 24 Ebbw Vale RFC 15

The visitor’s coach Strange started to make substitutions. Fullback Morgan Richards was replaced by Ewan Bowden and E Evans came on for Ewan McIntyre.

The first points of the second half came from a penalty to Ebbw. Trying to play out from their own twenty-two, Carmarthen were penalised for holding on, with Ebbw Vale flanker Lewis Young looking to win a turnover.

The Steelmen’s coach Strange made further changes by replacing number eight Owen Conquer with Ben Main and prop Morgan Williams came on for Morgan Davies. Further replacements saw co-captain Rhys Francis replace hooker Ieuan Morris, prop Harry Drane come off for Owen Hatherill and try scorer Hamish Anderson was replaced by Ryan Gardner.

With the forwards going through phase after phase, prop Owen Hatherill drove over the line from a yard out to score the decisive try. Number ten Meek added the two points to put Ebbw in the lead by one point with approximately fifteen minutes to go.

A further change by Ebbw Vale coach Strange saw scrum half Dylan Davies come on  for the injured substitute Ewan Bowden.

With less than five minutes to go, flyhalf Meek scored the final points of the game from with a penalty to extend the away side’s lead to four points.

Despite late pressure, the Quins were unable to get over the tryline and the referee Breakspear blew his whistle to bring the game to an end.

FT: Carmarthen Quins RFC 24 Ebbw Vale RFC 28


Tries: Ieaun Morris (1), Hamish Anderson (1), Owen Hatherill (1)

Conversions: Kieran Meek (2)

Penalties: Kieran Meek (3)


Ebbw Vale’s next game is at home at the Ciner Glass Community Stadium on Thursday 18th April 2024 against Pontypool RFC in front of the S4C Clic cameras, with kick-off at 7:30pm


Written By Alex Kinsella-Evans

Leave a Reply


Super Rygbi Cymru Officially Launched

Welsh rugby is about to undergo the biggest structural shake-up since the introduction of Regional rugby in 2003 with the creation of the 10-team Super Rygbi Cymru. Following 9 months of […]

Read More