Match Report – Llandovery 43 Ebbw Vale 7

HOME > Match Report – Llandovery 43 Ebbw Vale 7

Match Report – Llandovery 43 Ebbw Vale 7

Llandovery make it to the final

An uncharacteristic performance by the Steelmen saw the Drovers win the game and reach the Premiership Cup Final at the Millenium Stadium in April.

From the off Llandovery got on the front foot and never let up. Their first points came from the boot of number ten Ioan Hughes, who successfully sent a penalty through the uprights.

Within two minutes of the restart, the Drovers scored their first try. A great bit of play by Jac Davies, saw the full back score a fine solo try. On this occasion Hughes was unable to add the points.

Llandovery’s second try was to follow five minutes later. After good play, outside half Hughes rounded off a good team try. Hughes converted his own try.

The Drovers were to score their third try of the game ten minutes later. A cross field kick by scrum half Lee Rees, saw the ball end up in the hands of Adam Warren, who went over in the corner. Hughes extended the lead to twenty-two points.

With the Llandovery forwards enjoying the occasion, more forward domination ended with prop Jamie Hughes cross the line to score Llandovery’s fourth try of the afternoon. Hughes successfully kicked the conversion to extend the lead further.

Within the last few moments of the first half, Ebbw flanker Lewis Young was shown a yellow card.

Half Time: Ebbw Vale RFC 0 Llandovery RFC 29

Ebbw came out for the second half with pride at stake. Not long into the half coach Jason Strange replaced Luke Garrett with Morgan Davies, Alex Howes came off for Ryan Jenkins and full back Morgan Richards was replaced by Reece Dunne.

The first try of the second half came twelve minutes after the restart. A kick from his twenty-two by Jac Davies, saw the full back collect the ball and race over to score his second try of the afternoon. Hughes sent the conversion through the posts.

In the aftermath, Ebbw Vale centre Ethan Phillips was shown the yellow card, to spend ten minutes in the sin bin.

Ebbw coach Strange made further changes, with centre Dom Franchi replaced by Kieran Meek. Moments later, prop Harry Drane came on for Adam Court, scrum half Rory Harries replaced Jon Evans, Co-captain Rhys Francis came on for fellow captain Joe Franchi and flanker Cameron Reagan was replaced by Ewan McIntyre.

Ebbw’s only try of the afternoon came on seventy-six minutes, when replacement Reece Dunne intercepted a pass and raced over from the half-way line to score his first try for the club. Kieran Meek successfully added the two points.

The final try of the game came with two minutes left, when Llandovery number eight Joe Powell crossed the line. Replacement Jack Maynard scored the final points of the afternoon.

Full Time: Ebbw Vale RFC 7 Llandovery RFC 43


Try: Reece Dunne

Conversion Kieran Meek


Ebbw Vale’s next game see’s the Steelmen return to league action, in a Gwent derby against second placed Newport RFC on Saturday 23rd  March 2024 at the Ciner Glass Community Stadium, with kick off at 2:30pm.


Written by Alex Kinsella-Evans

Leave a Reply


Match Report – Carmarthen Quins 24 Ebbw Vale RFC 28

The Steelmen March On Ebbw came away from Carmarthen with a win, after playing in front of the TV cameras in a game that was played in tough weather conditions. […]

Read More